Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education (PSHCE)
At Pomphlett Primary School, we aim to support all children in gaining a measure of knowledge, skills and understanding on which to build confident, healthy and independent lives. Through a range of activities, circle times and their own experiences, the children are encouraged to explore their own worth within the school and the wider community.
In doing so, the aim for each individual is to become increasingly responsible for their actions and learning. Through active participation and personal reflection, the children will learn to respect each other and understand our diversities and differences.
We hope to see the following skills emerge in the all the children at Pomphlett;
- a growing sense of their being, their personality and their potential
- pondering questions at the heart of life and moral issues, and recognising values
- understanding and respecting people’s beliefs
- distinguishing between right and wrong and acquiring
- the will to do what is right
- enjoying relating to other people and demonstrating concern for their well being
- appreciating their own culture and that of others, and also the arts
Organisation OF PSHCE
The PSHCE education has three strands —Health & Wellbeing, Relationships and Living in the Wider World. To ensure effective provision, we include comprehensive coverage of economic wellbeing, careers and enterprise education, as well as education for personal safety, including assessing and managing both negative and positive risk.
To support our PSHCE learning we offer opportunities for children to meet and work with a range of adults; including guest speakers, inter skills workshops, extra-curricular clubs and pastoral provision. This prepares pupils for life in modern Britain, developing their understanding of the fundamental British Values.
Here are further examples in which we facilitate the development of Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education;
- whole school collaborative activities
- participating in community sports festivals
- learning about people’s beliefs and views in assemblies and lessons
- relating our ‘Secrets to Success’ and Character Strengths into everyday school life
- engagement with the work of charities
- health education
- roles of responsibility entrusted to children
Through our PSHE education, we believe we can enhance children’s education and help them to become caring, respectful, aspirational and confident individuals. Providing a consistent and regular delivery of PSHCE sessions allows us to fulfil this.